Thursday, February 9, 2012

Collin's Birthday Party

This year for Collin's birthday, I gave him a choice. I asked him if he wanted a friend party or a really great gift from us. He chose the great gift. Surprised by his answer I asked him why he didn't want a friend party to which he replied that he didn't really have any friends to invite. I was floored and saddened by his answer. Caitlin confirmed my fears because she said that he really didn't have friends. I started thinking about it and he never goes to anyone's house to play like Caitlin does nor does he get invited to go to a friends house. I really had a hard time believing all of this because Collin has always made friends wherever we have lived. He has a really great relaxed personality so he gets along with everyone.

After speaking with his teacher at school (only because parent teacher conference was the Thursday before his actual birthday, not because I was so freaked out) it turns out that in their classroom this year, they are all friends. Mrs. Cox said a lot of parents had mentioned the "friend" thing to her because no one is making "clicks". They all play together and are really nice to each other. I was happy with that because we all know how annoying clicks can be.

I talked with Collin and convinced him that he should try a party so that the boys in his class could get to know him outside of school. I was really worried that no one would show up and he would be left friendless at his own birthday party, so I told him to think of 16 boys from church and school and invite them with the reasoning that you usually get about half the amount. So we did. We invited 16 boys and as the days got closer to his party we were getting RSVP's from a lot of the kids. I was petrified that we were going to have all 16 show up and it would be a mad house, but I was going to be okay with it no matter what. Turns out that 13 kids showed up. 13! We played a get to know you game and then a bunch of minute to win it games. All these boys loved it! I was happy when it was over! It was so worth it. Just a couple of days after his birthday Collin brought home one of the kids from the party and played and then a couple of days after that Collin was invited to go over to another kids house that came to his party.
I asked Collin if he was happy with the choice that he had to be talked into : ) and he said that it was the best birthday he has ever had! Love that kid!

Collin with all the boys from the party


All of his loot

All I can say, is sometimes Mom's can be right!

1 comment:

Marcus n McKenzie said...

I haven't checked blogs in a LONG while, so this is a little late, but I'm so glad Collin had a party and realized he has friends :) We love and miss you guys.